I can't believe tomorrow marks two weeks since we brought our sweet Lina home!! In a way it feels like just yesterday, but then again it feels like she's always been a part of our family.
Everyday I am telling someone how I just can't believe how quickly Lina settled into our family and acts like she's always been here. She began transforming into a new little girl full of life as soon as we claimed her on Gotcha Day, and she has completely blossomed since coming home!
This is not the quiet, reserved little girl we met in the orphanage. I seriously worried how we would struggle with attachment issues since she was not only very independent, wanting to do everything herself, but also very reserved with her emotions and affection. We had to work really hard to get her to force a smile during our visits at the orphanage- she had a lot of fun with us, but there was definitely something missing. For then we were just playmates with new toys to enjoy. We came for an hour or so and then left, and she was trudging along in her institutionalized world.
Well soon after we had Lina in our custody- while still in Russia- she began bonding instantly. She completely opened up in the car one day and began showering me with hugs and kisses! And I'm talking her arm squeezing around my neck as tight as she could, and covering my cheek in kisses. <3 Melt. My. Heart. All the while grinning from ear to ear. She wanted to sit on my lap during meals and even wanted me to spoon food into her mouth for her- if anyone is familiar with the book The Connected Child- this is HUGE! Her trust level was sky high and she was soaking in all the love and attention.
But how will she react to the kids at home? How will they react to her? We came home around 7:45 PM Saturday, April 21st- Mike, Lina, and I completely exhausted from all the travel and lack of sleep... but when we stepped in the door- the kids were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and Lina just joined right in! She happily picked up a toy and carried on like she was right at HOME. When Evan grabbed a toy from her- she had a look of total astonishment when I told him "no" and gave it back to her. What? Someone is sticking up for me? I don't have to fight for everything anymore? Wow!
How is Evan doing with the adjustment?
Evan is 2, so yes, he's going to have some issues from time to time- sharing toys and sharing Mommy. But he has been such a little trooper and doing really well! Lina, too, has issues sharing, and tries to be bossy which Evan is very sensitive about. Raise your voice to him and it often leads into a complete meltdown. But overall, they are playing nicely and carrying on without incident. Here's a brief little video of them just a couple days ago (ignore my singing please!)
Everyday I am telling someone how I just can't believe how quickly Lina settled into our family and acts like she's always been here. She began transforming into a new little girl full of life as soon as we claimed her on Gotcha Day, and she has completely blossomed since coming home!
This is not the quiet, reserved little girl we met in the orphanage. I seriously worried how we would struggle with attachment issues since she was not only very independent, wanting to do everything herself, but also very reserved with her emotions and affection. We had to work really hard to get her to force a smile during our visits at the orphanage- she had a lot of fun with us, but there was definitely something missing. For then we were just playmates with new toys to enjoy. We came for an hour or so and then left, and she was trudging along in her institutionalized world.
Well soon after we had Lina in our custody- while still in Russia- she began bonding instantly. She completely opened up in the car one day and began showering me with hugs and kisses! And I'm talking her arm squeezing around my neck as tight as she could, and covering my cheek in kisses. <3 Melt. My. Heart. All the while grinning from ear to ear. She wanted to sit on my lap during meals and even wanted me to spoon food into her mouth for her- if anyone is familiar with the book The Connected Child- this is HUGE! Her trust level was sky high and she was soaking in all the love and attention.
But how will she react to the kids at home? How will they react to her? We came home around 7:45 PM Saturday, April 21st- Mike, Lina, and I completely exhausted from all the travel and lack of sleep... but when we stepped in the door- the kids were bouncing off the walls with excitement, and Lina just joined right in! She happily picked up a toy and carried on like she was right at HOME. When Evan grabbed a toy from her- she had a look of total astonishment when I told him "no" and gave it back to her. What? Someone is sticking up for me? I don't have to fight for everything anymore? Wow!
How is Evan doing with the adjustment?
Evan is 2, so yes, he's going to have some issues from time to time- sharing toys and sharing Mommy. But he has been such a little trooper and doing really well! Lina, too, has issues sharing, and tries to be bossy which Evan is very sensitive about. Raise your voice to him and it often leads into a complete meltdown. But overall, they are playing nicely and carrying on without incident. Here's a brief little video of them just a couple days ago (ignore my singing please!)
The big kids love her to death- I lost count of how many times Kaylin has said, "She's so CUTE!!" and "I can't believe she's my little sister!!" I took Justin out to get his glasses adjusted- just the two of us, and he was going on and on about how much he loves Polina. He loves giving her hugs, and both kids are always excited to see her when they get home from school. :)
How is Polina's rash doing?
Lina's skin has improved GREATLY- it really improved just a day or so after we treated her for scabies. Here's a pic I snapped this morning- you can still see marks on her legs but they are all fully closed and fading.
She goes to the dermatologist on the 9th to check everything out including the skin fungus which is just about gone too. Yea!!
She had a physical with our pediatrician this week and all went well- LOTS of blood tests ordered, so many in fact that we have to go back in a couple weeks for round 2 since they couldn't take so much blood from her at one time! The doctor called me this morning to go over the results they have so far- one of her thyroid levels was a little high, so she will see an endocrinologist to see if any treatment is needed. She was also low in vitamin D so she will go on prescription supplements. That was pretty much all that needed attention so far. I scheduled check ups with audiology, opthalmology, and cardiology also to be sure all is A-OK. I have noticed her right eye crosses and kinda does it's own thing at times, so am anxious to see what comes of that.
Some of Lina's favorites-
Reading books- she babbles with a LOT of inflection telling quite the story! :)
And toys that make noise... she LOVES this Elmo- you place a block in his hands and he says the picture and letter
Snuggling with Elmo
And much to my dismay, she is most excellent with on/off switches! Elmo has to take a little time out sometimes when Evan is napping.
Lina is the late sleeper in the house- sometimes sleeping past 10:00 AM!! That is absolutely unheard of in this house- the other kids rarely make it to 7:00! I know this is the best sleep she has gotten in years so I just let her sleep as long as her little heart desires. She still goes to sleep by 8:30 PM- I have to lay in her room with her until she falls asleep.
I will update more later on some of her fears and insecurities... some things that break this mama's heart. Love you, little girl!!









She is so sweet! So glad she is opening up and bonding with you all. She was probably just scared to really believe she would be going home with her family when she was still in the orphanage. Once she realized it was real, she was ready. :-)
ReplyDeleteShe is so very precious! It is exciting to see her blossom into her own!
ReplyDeleteStill love her sooo much. Can't believe she is really home with you. What a blessing.
ReplyDeleteKatrina
Carlene's soon to be momma :)
www.operationorphannomore.blogspot.com
I love, love, love to see how well she's doing!
ReplyDeleteKim
TheSimpsonSix.blogspot.com