I was so excited upon receiving a message from our sweet facilitator in Pskov! A little background: I believe I mentioned previously that Lina had a very large bank account in Russia. It is customary to donate a large portion back to the orphanage, and we were happy to do so. We would have liked to spend the money ourselves to offer tangible gifts to them, but unfortunately we didn't have the time, and what the director had first requested was only in a catalog and not available locally. Our facilitator assured us that the director would provide receipts which would be forwarded on to us so we could see how the money was spent. And now on to her message!
Dear Amy,
I should ask you concerning your donations for the Pskov orphans. Now money is on the account of the Pskov administration and it is necessary to make a final decision for use.
a) [The director at Lina's institution] offered five things that it is necessary to make in the orphanage
1. repair of bathrooms (replacement of a wall and floor tile, replacement of sinks, installation of shelves for toilet accessories)
2. repair of ladder flights (painting of a ceiling and walls, facing of steps, installation of ramps)
3. replacement of windows
4. acquisition of new furniture (bedside tables, beds)
5. acquisition of the developing equipment- tactile panels (we had discussed donations with the director when we were there on our court trip and she mentioned these large texture boards she would like installed on the walls of Lina's groupa for the children to explore)
(It is supposed that it should be something one of five)
Probably you want to choose from this something or let solve themself- write to me about it.
b) The administration asks some sum for newborns orphans til three years old. In that small orphanage there are not many simple but necessary things- diapers, no small bottles for feeding, and dummies [pacifiers]. It prospered earlier as it had a good sponsor from Germany. But now the help of the sponsor unexpectedly stopped and the shelter is in disastrous situation. The orphanage is very good for kids but now there is even threat of closing it in the absence of means. Therefore if you will be agree, that the part of your donation went there all will be very grateful to you.
c) And also the administration has a simple offer which they counted humane. This offer that a part of your donation to use for the help to Polina's biological family. This family lives in poverty now. Everything that they have very old and shabby. They eat for certain very badly too. If you want to help them we could buy here that you want. It can be simple a set of products which can long be stored (grain, a stewed meat) or there can be any important thing such as a sofa with chairs or the refrigerator or something similar. I think, any similar help will be for them very necessary and a big surprise! If you want it write it as we should make.
You made a big donation and it should suffice to help all these inquiries. In any case we will make everything in accuracy as you want. I wait for the letter with your recommendations.
Besides business discussions, I with pleasure want to add Lina simply remarkable girl. For so short time she blossomed as a flower with the advent of the sun. This sun for her is the love from your family. Lina is the beauty. I carry with myself her photo and I show to all my friends like if I bragged of my own child. Thank you.
With Love!
Marina
WOW!! Ok, so I couldn't get through that last paragraph without tearing up. Marina is so so SO sweet- she cares so much for these children and works diligently to help families bring them home. She has even commented that the judge who once did not believe children with special needs belonged in families- now excitedly asks to see photos of these children who are now home whenever she sees Marina at the court house! Amazing! :)
So what a blessed opportunity we have to help Lina's biological family!! At first I was a little heartbroken that we could not supply her former institution with everything on the list, and how would we choose just one? I relayed to Marina that we would leave it to the director to choose what she felt was top priority. Marina assured me that it was only expected to provide one item on the list, and those were just the possibilities. I also passed on the director's list to Georgia with ROOF, so hopefully they can provide some help there too. And of course we are happy to help the baby house in desperate need of funds. I am going to also inquire to see if there is any way we could provide more aid to them- I would hate to see them close. :(
Regarding Lina's biological family, I replied that I thought it would be wonderful to provide them with a refrigerator, especially with the coming summer months. Food could keep longer without spoiling and I'm sure it would be of great use to them. Marina replied back with another wonderful idea- filling the refrigerator with foods they possibly haven't had in a long time, ordinary foods we take for granted. She mentioned calling the representative of guardianship to consult (I am not familiar with this position but am guessing they are affiliated with the Ministry of Education and Science which is the government agency that handles adoptions) and wasn't sure whether she should have this representative contact the family to ask their need, or if we should just surprise them with the goodies. My vote is to surprise! Regardless, whatever is given to them is going to be a big surprise as they don't get any aid like this. I just wish I could see their faces when it arrives. :)
Marina mentioned she could bring photos of Lina for her biological family and share about our family and how Lina is doing. I do have Marina on Facebook, so she knows all the scoop and sees all the pictures. :) I would love for Lina's biological family to have the peace of mind knowing that Lina is in a loving and caring home, is happy and thriving. Marina also said they could ask to take a photo of the biological family to give to us, but wasn't sure if the family would agree, especially given their living conditions. I'm praying they will agree so Lina can have this important piece of her heritage. I would love to see their faces... see if Lina bears any resemblance to her birth mother or siblings (her biological father sadly passed away last year).
So please send up a prayer or two that all of this works out and we can get help where it is greatly needed! I will keep you posted on the progress. :)
Dear Amy,
I should ask you concerning your donations for the Pskov orphans. Now money is on the account of the Pskov administration and it is necessary to make a final decision for use.
a) [The director at Lina's institution] offered five things that it is necessary to make in the orphanage
1. repair of bathrooms (replacement of a wall and floor tile, replacement of sinks, installation of shelves for toilet accessories)
2. repair of ladder flights (painting of a ceiling and walls, facing of steps, installation of ramps)
3. replacement of windows
4. acquisition of new furniture (bedside tables, beds)
5. acquisition of the developing equipment- tactile panels (we had discussed donations with the director when we were there on our court trip and she mentioned these large texture boards she would like installed on the walls of Lina's groupa for the children to explore)
(It is supposed that it should be something one of five)
Probably you want to choose from this something or let solve themself- write to me about it.
b) The administration asks some sum for newborns orphans til three years old. In that small orphanage there are not many simple but necessary things- diapers, no small bottles for feeding, and dummies [pacifiers]. It prospered earlier as it had a good sponsor from Germany. But now the help of the sponsor unexpectedly stopped and the shelter is in disastrous situation. The orphanage is very good for kids but now there is even threat of closing it in the absence of means. Therefore if you will be agree, that the part of your donation went there all will be very grateful to you.
c) And also the administration has a simple offer which they counted humane. This offer that a part of your donation to use for the help to Polina's biological family. This family lives in poverty now. Everything that they have very old and shabby. They eat for certain very badly too. If you want to help them we could buy here that you want. It can be simple a set of products which can long be stored (grain, a stewed meat) or there can be any important thing such as a sofa with chairs or the refrigerator or something similar. I think, any similar help will be for them very necessary and a big surprise! If you want it write it as we should make.
You made a big donation and it should suffice to help all these inquiries. In any case we will make everything in accuracy as you want. I wait for the letter with your recommendations.
Besides business discussions, I with pleasure want to add Lina simply remarkable girl. For so short time she blossomed as a flower with the advent of the sun. This sun for her is the love from your family. Lina is the beauty. I carry with myself her photo and I show to all my friends like if I bragged of my own child. Thank you.
With Love!
Marina
WOW!! Ok, so I couldn't get through that last paragraph without tearing up. Marina is so so SO sweet- she cares so much for these children and works diligently to help families bring them home. She has even commented that the judge who once did not believe children with special needs belonged in families- now excitedly asks to see photos of these children who are now home whenever she sees Marina at the court house! Amazing! :)
So what a blessed opportunity we have to help Lina's biological family!! At first I was a little heartbroken that we could not supply her former institution with everything on the list, and how would we choose just one? I relayed to Marina that we would leave it to the director to choose what she felt was top priority. Marina assured me that it was only expected to provide one item on the list, and those were just the possibilities. I also passed on the director's list to Georgia with ROOF, so hopefully they can provide some help there too. And of course we are happy to help the baby house in desperate need of funds. I am going to also inquire to see if there is any way we could provide more aid to them- I would hate to see them close. :(
Regarding Lina's biological family, I replied that I thought it would be wonderful to provide them with a refrigerator, especially with the coming summer months. Food could keep longer without spoiling and I'm sure it would be of great use to them. Marina replied back with another wonderful idea- filling the refrigerator with foods they possibly haven't had in a long time, ordinary foods we take for granted. She mentioned calling the representative of guardianship to consult (I am not familiar with this position but am guessing they are affiliated with the Ministry of Education and Science which is the government agency that handles adoptions) and wasn't sure whether she should have this representative contact the family to ask their need, or if we should just surprise them with the goodies. My vote is to surprise! Regardless, whatever is given to them is going to be a big surprise as they don't get any aid like this. I just wish I could see their faces when it arrives. :)
Marina mentioned she could bring photos of Lina for her biological family and share about our family and how Lina is doing. I do have Marina on Facebook, so she knows all the scoop and sees all the pictures. :) I would love for Lina's biological family to have the peace of mind knowing that Lina is in a loving and caring home, is happy and thriving. Marina also said they could ask to take a photo of the biological family to give to us, but wasn't sure if the family would agree, especially given their living conditions. I'm praying they will agree so Lina can have this important piece of her heritage. I would love to see their faces... see if Lina bears any resemblance to her birth mother or siblings (her biological father sadly passed away last year).
So please send up a prayer or two that all of this works out and we can get help where it is greatly needed! I will keep you posted on the progress. :)
Oh AMY!!!! I cannot see through my tears :)
ReplyDeleteOK, this made me tear up. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAmy, this is so exciting! If there's anything you'd like me to take over on our trips, I'm happy to do so. :)
ReplyDeleteThat was beautiful! It also made me super glad that I have a montly donation to ROOF set up!
ReplyDeleteThank you SO much, Elizabeth!! :)
Delete